Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Electric Light Orchestra's Bassist: RIP

Kelly Groucutt was the bassist for ELO during their most creative/popular period, from '74 to '83. During that time the group released Eldorado, Face The Music, A New World Record, Out Of The Blue, and more. Kelly passed away on February 19, 2009.



I was introduced to ELO when I would sneak into my aunt Sharon's room when she was out and about and listen to A New World Record over and over. Sharon had a small record collection, but one that influenced me more than anything else in my early grade school days. A New World Record was the first record I bought with my own money. At the mall. For $7.33. (Seems silly, but I remember thinking to myself "You will remember this day for the rest of your life. You will remember even the detail of the cost of this album". Strange, isn't it?)

Time keeps marching on, doesn't it? These things, these passings, are a constant reminder to live life fully, with a sense of urgency. Goodbye Kelly, God bless. Here's Telephone Line, which I would sing along to with a naive romanticism, pining for that lost love way before I was old enough to know loss:

>

No comments: