Monday, April 12, 2010

Supergrass Breaks Up

Yet another highly touted British band that never seemed to take off in the States, Supergrass have called it quits after nearly two decades. It's unfortunate, but it gives me an opportunity to share with you two songs that have been dear to my heart from their debut release, I Should Coco. First up are some versions of their first single, "Caught By The Fuzz". I'd play you the official video, but those dicks at the record company won't let me. Hey, dicks, maybe if you would have let bloggers share videos of Supergrass, they would have had more success. Anyhoo, here's a live version, and an acoustic one. The official version can be found here.


Their big single was "Alright", from the same album, and it's another good one. This one comes from the Youtube Underground Railroad, I can't believe that embedding was not disabled. The video's a bit too much like the Monkees with either a young Mick Jagger or that guy from Flight of the Conchords singing, but it's still a good one:

I wish I could say with great conviction that I'll miss the band, but they have always been like a fly trapped in amber for me, with these two songs always sounding punky pop fresh. And after that, nothing seemed to stick. Still, two songs more than either you or I will ever have. So thanks for that, Supergrass.

No comments: