Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tom Waits- Tomorrow night!


This is one I've been waiting for ever since Jeff and I saw him at the Paramount in Austin in 1999(!). That night was one of those cold-cock upside the head evenings. The show started late, long after midnight, and we were exhausted from the marathon that is SXSW. That show brought an energy to me, even though I can say that I was (and still am, if I admit it) a casual fan of Tom's music. Some of it turns me on, most of it is hard to listen to.

In concert, Tom Waits shines. He reminds me of Lyle Lovett, not in music, but in the sense that both are storytellers and bring a smile to the audience as they weave a narrative between songs that bring context to the music. I'll let you know how it was.

Photo from Gary Miller, Dallas show, June 23.

No comments: