Monday, November 17, 2008

Queen's "The Cosmos Rocks": Yes It Does, But This CD Does Not.


I did not have high hopes for the new Queen/Paul Rogers release, but tried to go into it with an open mind.

I find it to be boring, for diehard fans only. There are glimpses of the greatness from time to time, especially when we hear Brian May's guitar roar to life, but that glimpse is immediately mitigated by Paul Rogers' inane lyrics. Gone is Freddie Mercury's genre-hopping that energized the band, in its place is a bluesy bar band approach. The whole affair is closer to Bad Company at its most pedestrian.

I offer these sample lyrics:

Call me if you need my love
Call me if you need my love
Call me if you need my love
Call me if you need my love

I met her in her neighborhood
I was just passing through
One look was all it took yeah
One look or two

Call me if you need my love
Call me if you need my love
Call me if you need my love
Call me if you need my love


here's one more:

Once I loved a butterfly
don't wonder how- don't ask me why
But I believed what I'd been told
"All things that glitter can't be gold"


OK, I can't help cite one more:

Surf's up
School's out
I got a criminal urge to
TWIST AND SHOUT!!!!!!


Oh, man. Blarg. I'd go see them live, though. If they promised to only play 3-4 new songs...

No comments: