Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Avett Brothers- Murder In The City



The Avett Brothers are bit of a conundrum for me. The first time I saw them open up for BR5-49 I could not tell if I loved them or hated them, these wild-eyed romantic hippies bashing and stomping, screaming their lungs out. And there also was some gorgeous harmonies, and lyrics that rang true, an unusual thing.

This song, from the Second Gleam EP, absolutely slays me. It should be a monster hit, one of those medical shows should have it roll over one of those emotional montages, and every man woman and child should own a copy. Look, it's got it all: Musing about growing up:

I wonder who my parents loved the most
I sure did get in lots of trouble
They seemed to let the other g
o (as the brothers share a smile)
A tear fell from my father's eyes
I wondered what my dad would say
He said I love you and I'm proud of you both
In so many different ways


Romance:

If I get murdered in the city
don't go revenging in my name
One person dead from such is plenty
No need to get locked away
When I leave your arms
The things I think of
No need to get over alarmed
I'm coming home


Acoustic guitars, piano, harmony, family:

Make sure my sister know I loved her
Make sure my mother knows the same
Always remember there was nothing worth sharing
Like the love that let us share our name


Not many songs are good enough, real enough, that I feel the emotions and am moved by them. Buy The Second Gleam on itunes, emusic, at your favorite music store, or at least buy this song. These boys deserve it.

For more, here they are from an earlier post from when Jeff and I saw them at the Sheldon. There was no mistaking my feelings for them at that show. It was a rare magical night, starting with this very song:

No comments: