Tuesday, March 17, 2009

SXSW Spotlight: Chuck Mead

Chuck Mead is the founder of BR5-49. It seems that they are on hiatus and/or defunct, so he will be playing the festival as Chuck Mead and His Grassy Knoll Boys. I've seen BR5-49 a few times, and they always put on a fun show. The last time I saw them was at Antone's after Chris Scruggs had come in to replace Gary Bennett. We were right next to Chuck and his clear guitar style sounded very good indeed.

And to make this come full circle, the FIRST time I saw the Avett Brothers, who I will hopefully see on Wednesday night, was when they opened up for BR5-49 at Off Broadway here in St Louis.

Chuck's new release comes out on 5/12/09. Here's the first video single from it, "I Wish It Was Friday":



He'll be playing here for SXSW:
Thursday, March 19 3:00 p.m.
Jovita's (1617 S. 1st St)

Thursday, March 19 7:00 p.m.
Mother Egan's (715 W 6th St)

No comments: