Tuesday, September 2, 2008

New Queen Out This Fall- What To Think?

I'm torn. On October 28, Queen will release a new disc with Paul Rogers filling in for the late Freddie Mercury. By all accounts, the tour with Paul singing was a success, but I just can't shake the feeling that Paul Rogers is such a different voice (and personality) than Freddie's that I can't see it working out. I hope I'm wrong, because that Brian May is a hell of a guitar player.

The name of the album/CD/digital download is "The Cosmos Rocks". Here's a listing of some of the tracks, via Billboard:

The group has already debuted several of the new songs at shows and on TV, including first single "C-lebrity," which features vocals from Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins, and "Say It's Not True," written in honor of Nelson Mandela's 46664 AIDS initiative.

The 14-track "The Cosmos Rocks" will also feature "Cosmos Rockin'," "Time To Shine," "Still Burnin'," "Small," "Warboys," "We Believe," "Call Me," "Voodoo," "Some Things That Glitter," "Through the Night" and "Surf's Up ... School's Out!"

"I think it touches a lot of emotions," Rodgers told Billboard.com recently of the album. "Every song is different from every other song, but I do think there is a very powerful emotional content in every song. I'm a great believer in variety in music, and so are the other guys."


It's the first set of new material since 1995. At least nowhere in the article did it mention the dreaded "return to form". I mean, how could it be?

No comments: