Monday, May 18, 2009

Mastodon On Letterman. Letterman On Mastodon: "I'm Frightened"

There's a world of stuff going on out there beyond these four walls. I apologize, I've been preoccupied. But again, how did I miss this? The one thing I notice right away is the technical dexterity of the musicians. Well, that and the guitarist's forehead. The guy on our left. Is that a tattoo, headband, stitches? But I digress. Anyone who thinks metal is just a bunch of stuff with no forethought or sense of composition, please watch this. I hope it changes your mind, at least a little. You don't have to like it to appreciate it's musicality. But I likey.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Did you notice that the CBS Orchestra was playing Helmet during the break?

That's a tattoo on the guitarist's (Brent Hinds) forehead, and I think it's where his head wound was from this bout, which you may remember hearing about a while back:

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/archive/2007/sep/20/post-vma-headbanging

Some time after that incident--kind of recently--he was invited by someone to come on stage and sit in on guitar with a band. So, Brent starts playing guitar, and the guy who invited him onto the stage proceeds to dump a drink over Brent's head from behind. Surprise!

Well, apparently--and I'm paraphrasing--Brent told the guy that he made him so mad that he wanted to punch him in the face, to which the guy replied with something to the effect of, "Get over it." At which point Brent punched him in the face so hard that he now has a cleft lip for life.

Moral of the story: Do not disrespect another man like that--especially Brent.

Dano said...

Wow, that is a good story. Thanks for sharing.