Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Asylum Street Spankers: Twangfest This F.R.I.D.A.Y.

I have seen the Spankers many times. They are unlike any band out there, a melding of 20's jazz, country, and odes to beer, sex, drugs, and more sex. It's hard to describe to folks; one of those "you have to see them" bands. With the magic of the internet I can share some videos so you at least get a flavor. They'll be playing Friday night as part of the Twangfest line-up. Can't be there, but I would if I could.


The Spankers are genre-jumpers like no other I know of (If you care to challenge, please do. Leave a comment). Here they are doing the B-52s:


Watching these videos makes me wish I was going. So I invite you to go, have fun. But shut the hell up when the band is playing. No one paid to hear you talk. Just some friendly advice. This last one features Stanley Smith (he's wearing the beret, looking like an old jazz hipster. He is), I wish he was still in the band.:

No comments: