Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Rancid: Last One to Die


So I bought the new Green Day. I like Green Day. And I bought the new Rancid. I like Rancid. All good, correct?

The Green Day has everything a rock/punk/pop lover like myself should like: sonic diversity, shout-along choruses, a big over-arching theme. In short, more of the same from the boys. The Rancid release, "Let The Dominoes Fall", has much of the same, with even an over-arching theme: longevity.

I am seeing both bands in concert in the coming months. I've never seen Green Day, so that will be cool. Seen Rancid before, and that was one of the best concert experiences I have had in a long time. It's been a while since this old skooler was in the thick of things, but there seemed to be no better place to be for that show. My friend Jeff, who had recommended the show, remembered looking around to see if I was enjoying myself and seeing me disappear into the sea of bodies. Enjoy, indeed I did. That was one of the few shows that I drove home from and was still soaking wet from sweat when I got out of the car in my driveway. MOST excellent.

So why do I love the new Rancid, and hate the new Green Day? Hard to put my finger on it. Maybe it's the fact that GD have a different producer that has managed to make them sound like Dionne Warwick with banal lyrics. The music has a squishy center to it, and the anger seems to be manufactured.

Rancid, on the other hand, may be nothing more than gutter poets, but what they are saying feels heartfelt. Sure, there are a few duff songs on the new one, but overall I'll pick their new one hands-down. Maybe you should hear it, and let me know what you think. Or tell me I'm crazy, that the new Green Day is the best thing they've ever done. I can take it. But you're wrong.

No comments: